Tuesday, 6 September 2011
You know you're a true SE Asia backpacker when :
I found this on facebook and find it very funny. Worth to read!
You know you’re a true SE Asia Backpacker when:
• You’ve used your insect repellent not only to keep insects away but also as deodorant, to moisturise your legs, make your clothes/pack smell better.
• Used wet wipes (sparingly) in lieu of a shower.
• Referred to deodorant as “shower in a can”.
• Washed your clothes in the shower with shampoo.
• Eaten bugs, testicals, intestines, eyeballs, chicken feet, spiders, seahorses, maggots and many other disgusting things off a street vender…because it was cheap, you were drunk and your mate dared you to.
• Panicked about your ‘lost’ passport, camera, wallet, bus ticket only to realise it’s in your pocket or your hand.
• Fought with your travel-buddy over the window seat on a 12 hour bus ride.
• Been touched inappropriately and slightly creeped out by a little local old lady who just wants to touch your white white skin and remind you your tans not as good as hers.
• Been stared at in horror by a little kid because they’ve never seen such a tall white monster before.
• Had to pose in some ones family photo because you’re so white, tall and have blue eyes.
• Used a squat toilet with as much skill as any local.
• Worn clothes that smell so bad it’s almost crawling away….if only because it smells better then everything else in your pack.
• Laughed at “5 starers” when they realise they have to get on the same bus/train/boat/taxi/tuk-tuk/car as you….and you know you smell like death.
• Pitied “5 Star-ers” because with all their tours, transfers, guides they never really get to see the true culture.
• Snarled at “5 star-ers” for their unwillingness to talk/joke/be friendly to local people.
• Had intense feelings of Jealously towards “5 Star-ers” when you see them enjoying their beach-side pools and villa’s, their personal bag carriers, gourmet meals, wads of cash and their clean clothes, hair and skin…*sigh*
• Spent at least an hour trying to catch that 1 rogue mosquito that’s caught in your mosquito net
• Heard someone having sex in the bed next to you while sleeping in a 10 person dorm.
• Heard the words “the buckets are lethal” but you try them anyway….and yes, they are lethal…and freaking awesome.
• Felt intense feelings of hate towards your pack….but deep down you know you’d be devastated if you lost it…its your life.
• Been so poor that you can’t afford to eat…because you need what little money you have to buy alcohol.
• While trying to communicate with a local, you’ve both dissolved into laughter because you know your not getting anywhere…and never will. Laughter and smiles are universal
• Arrived at a bus station, dock or train station 5 minutes before the time on the ticket says…only to wait another 3 hours for it to turn up and apparently it’s on time.
• Slept on your clothes because the sheets don’t quite look clean enough.
• Become so religious about wearing thongs/sandels in the shower that when you get home it almost feels dirty not to.
• Stolen napkins from restaurants to use as toilet paper.
• Become sick on a 12 hour bus ride and had to vomit into the little plastic bag they give you for your shoes.
• Had the best food of your life in places that look like the birth place of salmonella.
• Had a little celebratory dance and ran around telling everyone you meet when you find out your shower is NOT directly above your toilet.
• Have gotten more drunk then you’ve ever been in your life with a couple of locals and realised that really, they are your best friends in the whole world.
• Spent hours and hours lost and then realised that your hostel was just around the corner.
- Had at least 12 near death experiences (with at least 5 of them from crossing the road)